Iran confirms Bin Laden daughter at Saudi Embassy
Tehran: Iran has confirmed that a daughter
of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden has turned up at the Saudi
Embassy in Tehran, but said it does not know how she entered
A Saudi newspaper reported Wednesday that Bin Laden`s
17-year-old daughter, Eman, went to the embassy after eluding
guards in Iran who have held her, her sister and four brothers
under house arrest for eight years.
It has long been believed that Iran has held in custody
a number of bin Laden`s children since they fled Afghanistan
after the US-led invasion of that country in 2001 most notably
Saad and Hamza bin Laden, who are thought to have held
positions in al-Qaida.
Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on a TV talk
show yesterday that Iran had no idea Eman was in the country
until it heard from the embassy that she was there.
Mottaki said if Iranian authorities are able to confirm
her identity she would be free to leave Iran.
"Some time ago, the Embassy of Saudi Arabia informed us
that one of the daughters of Bin Laden is in the embassy,"
Mottaki said. "We don`t know how this person went to the
embassy or how she entered the country."
Mottaki made no mention of the other Bin Laden children
and he was not asked on the TV program whether Iran was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez