Iran deemed worst offender for global terror: US
Washington: Iran has been listed as the worst offender for boosting support for global terrorism to a huge extent, according to the US administration’s annual report reflecting international trends in extremist violence.
The administration report emphasised that the al Qaeda elements in Afghanistan and Pakistan will be defeated but the outfit’s affiliates remain severe threats to the US, Fox News reports.
The US list of ‘state sponsors of terrorism’ though enlists Cuba, Iran, Sudan and Syria but singles out Iran for spreading global terrorism.
The report said that 2012 has been ‘notable in demonstrating a marked resurgence of Iran`s state sponsorship of terrorism.’ Quds Force of Iran`s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps and the militant Shi’ite Hezbollah movement that is Iran`s ally in Lebanon have sponsored and aided Iran in its extremist violence methods.
The report also said: “Iran and Hezbollah`s terrorist activity has reached a tempo unseen since the 1990s, with attacks plotted in Southeast Asia, Europe, and Africa”.
According to the report, leadership losses with the core group have driven al Qaeda affiliates to become more independent by setting their own agendas and targets and raising money on their own, primarily through kidnapping and other crimes.
The administration report insisted that ‘though the al Qaeda core group is on a path to defeat, and its two most dangerous affiliates, Libya and Yemen have suffered serious setbacks, tumultuous events in the Middle East and North Africa have complicated the counter-terrorism picture`.
The ‘strategic assessment’ of the report has noted that the US must defend itself from a ‘more decentralised and geographically dispersed terrorist threat’ that has made it more difficult to successfully disrupt terrorism plans in certain areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof