Iran denies radiation leak at Bushehr N-plant
Tehran: Iran has dismissed as baseless the media reports suggesting possible radiation leakage at Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) due to last week`s earthquake.
"Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant has been constructed to withstand an eight Richter magnitude earthquake," Xinhua quoted Mohammad Ahmadian, the deputy of the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran (AEOI), as saying on Sunday.
He said the "Bushehr NPP has been designed based on the most advanced and strict international regulations", Ahmadian said.
Top officials and experts from all Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) member countries held an urgent meeting in Riyadh on Sunday to discuss the repercussions of the recent magnitude-6.1 temblor in Iran`s Bushehr province, which left 37 people dead. It is close to the Bushehr nuclear plant.
In a statement following the meeting, the GCC officials urged Iran to ensure the safety of its nuclear establishments and called on the IAEA to inspect the nuclear plants in Bushehr to examine possible radiation leaks.
Ahmadian said given the magnitude of the recent earthquake and the roughly 100-km distance between the epicentre of the quake and the site of Bushehr nuclear facility, "it is natural that the quake would not create any problems for the Bushehr NPP".
Iran`s Nuclear Safety System Centre, which is under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), has overseen the safety of the power plant during its construction, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez