Iran denies Syria captives are elite guards
Moscow: The Iranian foreign ministry Monday denied that the 48 Iranians kidnapped in Syria were members of the elite Iranian Revolutionary Guards.
"We strongly deny the information disseminated by certain media that our kidnapped pilgrims are members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps. All of them are pilgrims who came to Damascus to visit its shrines," Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian was quoted as saying by the Arab-language Al-Alam TV.
Iranian media reported Sunday that 48 pilgrims travelling on a bus from Damascus international airport to the Hazrat Zainab shrine on the outskirts of the Syrian capital were abducted by armed insurgents. This was the third kidnapping of Iranian citizens since the crisis in Syria began in March 2011.
Later, a man dressed as an officer of the rebel Free Syrian Army said in a video posted online that the captured pilgrims were "militiamen on a reconnaissance mission in Damascus".
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi has asked Turkey and Qatar to intervene to secure the release of the abducted pilgrims.
The Syrian conflict has claimed 14,000-20,000 lives since March 2011, according to estimates by various opposition groups and the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM