Iran developing nuke weapons ‘could trigger arms race` in Middle East: Cameron
London: British Prime Minster David Cameron has warned that Iran’s development of nuclear weapons would not only be a ‘desperately bad development for our world’ but could also ‘trigger a nuclear arms race’ in the region.
Cameron said that he believed Tehran was trying to develop nuclear weapons which he said would make the Middle East "a more unstable and more dangerous place".
“Iran does pose a threat in two ways. First of all, if Iran is embarked on trying to acquire a nuclear weapon, as I believe it is, that is a threat in itself, particularly given what Iran has said about other countries in the region, and in particular about Israel, about wanting to `wipe it of the map`,” he said while addressing a group of students in Abu Dhabi.
According to the Telegraph, Cameron stressed that ‘we should do everything we can to stop it happening.’
“In itself it is a hugely concerning development, a desperately bad development for our world and that is why we should do everything we can to top it happening,” the paper quoted him, as saying.
“But I think there is a second reason why it is so concerning and that is because I think it could trigger a nuclear arms race across the whole region,” he said.
“That would consume a huge amount of resources and energy but also I think make the Middle East a more dangerous, more unstable part of the world,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say