Iran develops short-range missile defence
Tehran: Iran, whose nuclear dispute with the West has raised the possibility of new regional conflict, has developed a short-range defence system to combat Cruise missiles, its defence minister was quoted as saying on Sunday.
"A new short range anti-Cruise defence system with the capability to fire 4,000 rounds of bullets per minute has been produced at the Defence Ministry and soon will be inaugurated," Ahmad Vahidi said on semi-official Fars news agency.
"We are at the design and production phase of various defence systems in the short, medium and long-range categories," he added, citing the Mersad air defence and Shahin missile defence systems.
Cruise missiles are guided missiles that operate at low level to evade radar detection. They can fly up to supersonic speeds carrying either conventional or nuclear warheads.
The US administration said last month that Iran and North Korea were excluded from new limits on the use of US atomic weapons -- something Tehran interpreted as a threat from a long-standing adversary to attack it with nuclear bombs.
Though the Islamic Republic seeks self-sufficiency in missile defence, it is urging Russia to resist Western pressure not to deliver the S-300 missile defence system it has ordered.
Washington is pressing other global powers to agree to a fourth round of UN sanctions against Iran over its refusal to halt nuclear work that the West suspects is aimed at making bombs, a charge Iran denies.
Iran held military exercises in the Gulf waterway and Strait of Hormuz last month in an apparent bid to show its readiness for any attack by Israel or the United States.
Analysts said it was also a message to US-allied Gulf Arab states, which offer military facilities to US forces.
Iran has said it would respond to any attack by targeting US interests in the region and Israel, as well as closing the Strait of Hormuz. About 40 percent of the world`s traded oil leaves the Gulf region through the strategic narrows.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?