Iran dissident gets 18 years in prison
Berlin: The daughter of an Iranian human rights
lawyer says her father has been sentenced to 18 years in
prison by a Tehran revolutionary court.
Maede Soltani, who lives in Germany, said her father Abdolfattah Soltani was also banned from exercising his profession for 20 years.
She says her father`s lawyer was informed of the sentence
today, but her family does not know when the court made its
The 58-year-old Soltani co-founded a human rights group
with Iranian Nobel Peace Prize laureate Shirin Ebadi and was
arrested last year and has since been held in Tehran`s
notorious Evin prison.
Soltani says her father was charged with co-founding the
Center for Human Rights Defenders, spreading anti-government
propaganda and endangering national security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof