Iran expands enrichment facility: Diplomats
Vienna: Iran has set up new equipment that
could let it produce more enriched uranium from a smaller
amount of raw material, diplomats said on Friday.
The step could one day make it easier to produce a
nuclear bomb and is likely to give the US more leverage with
Russia and China in its push for new UN sanctions on Iran.
Moscow, which has softened its traditional opposition to
sanctions in recent weeks, warned Iran that time was running
out to avoid such punishment, urging it to show compromise on
its nuclear activities during a visit by Brazil`s president,
Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said after meeting
Silva in Moscow that "maybe it is the last chance before the
adopting of known decisions in the Security Council."
The international showdown is focused at a nuclear
facility in the desert outside the central city of Natanz.
Almost all of the thousands of centrifuges set up there
produce uranium that is made up of 3.5 per cent uranium-235,
the isotope needed to produce a nuclear explosion.
Uranium enriched to 3.5 percent can be used to fuel
civilian reactors that produce electricity, Iran`s declared
purpose for enrichment.
One set of 164 centrifuges has been linked in a cascade,
or string of machines, that has been producing uranium
enriched to near 20 percent since February.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Subramanian Swamy at it again! Attacks Economic Affairs Secy Shaktikanta Das; Arun Jaitley calls it unfair
- Pakistan-North Korea nuclear trade being tracked by Indian intelligence agencies: Report
- Rousseff ex-minister arrested in Brazil graft probe
- 4,500 people rescued in Mediterranean: Italy coastguard
- Vijender Singh out of Olympic contention, wishes best for Vikas Krishan