Iran failed to live up to its obligations under int’l law: US
Washington: The United States has said that Iran has not been able live up to its commitments under international law to prove that its pursuit of nuclear technology is for peaceful purposes.
"Iran has failed to live up to its obligations under international law, to prove that its pursuit of nuclear technology is for peaceful means. There is ample evidence to the contrary," the White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
"We are engaged in a process with our allies to try to bring about a change in behaviour by the regime in Tehran. As part of that process, we have instituted the most stringent and broad sanctions regime in the history of the world. That is both unilaterally and with our allies, and through the United Nations and through different means," he said.
He said US has stated that there remains time for Iran to choose a path of engaging with the international community and abandoning its nuclear weapons ambitions, but that time is not unlimited.
"We obviously monitor the situation very closely with our allies," he said.
Meanwhile, local media reported that Iran has blocked Gmail services in the country. Additionally, Virtual Private Networks (VPN) have stopped functioning and internet users in Iran are facing serious problems accessing various external websites.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez