Iran fields `massive` number of missile launchers
Tehran: Iran has fielded a "massive" number of new long-range missile launchers, state TV reported on Sunday.
The new weapon components delivered to Iranian military units would allow them to "crush the enemy" with the mass simultaneous fire of long-range surface-to-surface missiles, Defence Minister Gen Ahmad Vahidi was quoted as saying.
TV showed footage of him inspecting two dozen launch trucks without missiles at an outdoor site. The report did not specify the type of missile that would be fired, nor more details on the number of launchers deployed.
Some of Iran`s surface-to-surface missiles are estimated to have ranges of over 2,000 kilometers, capable of hitting its arch-foe Israel and the US bases in the region.
Vahidi did not specify who was the "enemy" and said Iran would never start a war. Iran considers both the United States and Israel as enemies. Both have not ruled out a military option against Iran`s nuclear facilities, which the West suspects are aimed at weapons development. Iran denies the charge.
From time to time Iran announces military achievements that cannot be independently verified. Facing a Western military embargo, Iran is pursuing a program for military self-sufficiency, producing weapons ranging from light submarines and jet fighters to torpedoes and missiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon