Iran fields `massive` number of missile launchers
Tehran: Iran has fielded a "massive" number of new long-range missile launchers, state TV reported on Sunday.
The new weapon components delivered to Iranian military units would allow them to "crush the enemy" with the mass simultaneous fire of long-range surface-to-surface missiles, Defence Minister Gen Ahmad Vahidi was quoted as saying.
TV showed footage of him inspecting two dozen launch trucks without missiles at an outdoor site. The report did not specify the type of missile that would be fired, nor more details on the number of launchers deployed.
Some of Iran`s surface-to-surface missiles are estimated to have ranges of over 2,000 kilometers, capable of hitting its arch-foe Israel and the US bases in the region.
Vahidi did not specify who was the "enemy" and said Iran would never start a war. Iran considers both the United States and Israel as enemies. Both have not ruled out a military option against Iran`s nuclear facilities, which the West suspects are aimed at weapons development. Iran denies the charge.
From time to time Iran announces military achievements that cannot be independently verified. Facing a Western military embargo, Iran is pursuing a program for military self-sufficiency, producing weapons ranging from light submarines and jet fighters to torpedoes and missiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing