Iran FM in Abu Dhabi amid rising regional tensions
Abu Dhabi: Senior officials in the United Arab Emirates are holding talks with Iran`s foreign minister amid growing Gulf accusations of political meddling by Tehran.
The official news agency WAM says Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi met on Sunday with top UAE envoys as part of a tour seeking to ease tensions. Salehi last week visited Qatar and Oman.
Shi’ite heavyweight Iran has sharply criticised efforts by the Gulf`s Sunni leaders to quell pro-reform protests, including sending a Saudi-led military force to aid Bahrain`s monarchy in March. Bahrain`s majority Shi’ites have since faced sweeping crackdowns.
Gulf Arab leaders plan to meet on Tuesday in Saudi Arabia. The group strongly denounced Iran at its last gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets