Iran frees stoning woman: German campaign group
Berlin: Iran has freed a woman sentenced to
death by stoning for adultery, her son and her lawyer, a
German-based campaign group said on Friday after global outcry
over the case.
"We have got news from Iran that they are free," Mina
Ahadi, spokeswoman for the Anti-Stoning Committee, said.
"We are waiting for another confirmation: apparently
there will be a programme this evening on (Iranian) television
and then we will be 100 percent sure."
There was no immediate confirmation from Tehran.
Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini immediately
hailed the reported release and lauded it as "a great day for
"Iran has made the gesture of understanding and clemency
that we were hoping for and it did so using its prerogative as
a sovereign state," he said.
"It`s a decision that merits strong praise and
satisfaction," he said. "We take note of this in the
knowledge that the prospect for dialogue with Iran also on
human rights can resume in a spirit of renewed mutual
Sakineh Mohammadi-Ashtiani, a 43-year-old mother of two,
was initially given death sentences by two different courts in
the northwestern city of Tabriz in separate trials in 2006.
A sentence to hang for her involvement in the murder of
her husband was commuted to a 10-year jail term by an appeals
court in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack