Iran govt slams media for Carla Bruni ‘prostitute’ slur
Melbourne: Iran’s Foreign Ministry has slammed the media for labelling French first lady Carla Bruni a "prostitute" after she pledged her support for a woman sentenced to death by stoning.
"Insulting officials of other countries and using indecent words is not endorsed by the Islamic Republic of Iran," News.com.au quoted the foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast as saying.
He added that criticism is fine but the media should refrain from using derogatory words.
Iran’s hard-line daily newspaper Kayhan had attacked the wife of the French President Nicolas Sarkozy, branding her a "prostitute". It ran a story headlined "French prostitutes enter the human rights uproar," in which it criticised Bruni for supporting the Iranian mother-of-two Sakineh Mohammadi-Ashtiani, 43, who has been sentenced to death by stoning for alleged adultery.
Iranian foreign minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, has condemned the worldwide outcry against the sentence handed down to Ashtiani.
"The West must be careful not to allow itself to be misled by people who seek to harm our reputation. Many of the things that were reported on the most recent case are either completely incorrect or contradictory," he said in an interview published in the German magazine Der Spiegel yesterday.
"The campaign is now backed by people who, with the help of a few European politicians and the media, are playing a rigged game. We will soon announce further information about what is behind this game," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers