Iran govt slams media for Carla Bruni ‘prostitute’ slur
Melbourne: Iran’s Foreign Ministry has slammed the media for labelling French first lady Carla Bruni a "prostitute" after she pledged her support for a woman sentenced to death by stoning.
"Insulting officials of other countries and using indecent words is not endorsed by the Islamic Republic of Iran," News.com.au quoted the foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast as saying.
He added that criticism is fine but the media should refrain from using derogatory words.
Iran’s hard-line daily newspaper Kayhan had attacked the wife of the French President Nicolas Sarkozy, branding her a "prostitute". It ran a story headlined "French prostitutes enter the human rights uproar," in which it criticised Bruni for supporting the Iranian mother-of-two Sakineh Mohammadi-Ashtiani, 43, who has been sentenced to death by stoning for alleged adultery.
Iranian foreign minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, has condemned the worldwide outcry against the sentence handed down to Ashtiani.
"The West must be careful not to allow itself to be misled by people who seek to harm our reputation. Many of the things that were reported on the most recent case are either completely incorrect or contradictory," he said in an interview published in the German magazine Der Spiegel yesterday.
"The campaign is now backed by people who, with the help of a few European politicians and the media, are playing a rigged game. We will soon announce further information about what is behind this game," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried