Iran hangs 10 drug smugglers: Report
Tehran: Iran Wednesday hanged 10 drug smugglers
in a prison in the city of Karaj, west of Tehran, state media reported, taking to 45 the number of executions in the Islamic
republic since the start of this year.
The state television website said the 10 convicts
carried, kept and distributed a variety of narcotic drugs.
The latest hangings bring the total number of executions
so far this year to 45, according to an AFP count based on
media reports. Most of them have been drug traffickers.
In 2010, Iran hanged at least 179 people, according to
Along with China, Saudi Arabia and the United States,
Iran has one of the highest numbers of executions each year.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and
adultery are among the crimes punishable by death in Iran.
The Islamic republic says the death penalty is essential
to maintain law and order and is applied only after exhaustive
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!