Iran hangs 10 drug smugglers: Report
Tehran: Iran Wednesday hanged 10 drug smugglers
in a prison in the city of Karaj, west of Tehran, state media reported, taking to 45 the number of executions in the Islamic
republic since the start of this year.
The state television website said the 10 convicts
carried, kept and distributed a variety of narcotic drugs.
The latest hangings bring the total number of executions
so far this year to 45, according to an AFP count based on
media reports. Most of them have been drug traffickers.
In 2010, Iran hanged at least 179 people, according to
Along with China, Saudi Arabia and the United States,
Iran has one of the highest numbers of executions each year.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and
adultery are among the crimes punishable by death in Iran.
The Islamic republic says the death penalty is essential
to maintain law and order and is applied only after exhaustive
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics