Iran hangs 22 men for drug trafficking: Report
Tehran: An Iranian state-owned newspaper says authorities have hanged 22 people convicted of drug trafficking.
The report by IRAN daily says the executions were carried out on Sunday in Tehran Evin prison as well as a prison in the city of Karaj, some 25 miles (45 kilometres) west of the capital, Tehran.
It says all the men, who were only identified by their first names, had previous criminal convictions.
While Iranian authorities do not officially publish the number of executions in the country, human rights groups say scores of people have been hanged in Iran since the start of the year.
The country allows for a strict enforcement of Islamic law.
Crimes that are punishable by death penalty in Iran include drug trafficking, murder, rape, armed robbery and kidnapping.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi