Iran hangs 22 men for drug trafficking: Report
Tehran: An Iranian state-owned newspaper says authorities have hanged 22 people convicted of drug trafficking.
The report by IRAN daily says the executions were carried out on Sunday in Tehran Evin prison as well as a prison in the city of Karaj, some 25 miles (45 kilometres) west of the capital, Tehran.
It says all the men, who were only identified by their first names, had previous criminal convictions.
While Iranian authorities do not officially publish the number of executions in the country, human rights groups say scores of people have been hanged in Iran since the start of the year.
The country allows for a strict enforcement of Islamic law.
Crimes that are punishable by death penalty in Iran include drug trafficking, murder, rape, armed robbery and kidnapping.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song