Iran hangs 22 men for drug trafficking: Report
Tehran: An Iranian state-owned newspaper says authorities have hanged 22 people convicted of drug trafficking.
The report by IRAN daily says the executions were carried out on Sunday in Tehran Evin prison as well as a prison in the city of Karaj, some 25 miles (45 kilometres) west of the capital, Tehran.
It says all the men, who were only identified by their first names, had previous criminal convictions.
While Iranian authorities do not officially publish the number of executions in the country, human rights groups say scores of people have been hanged in Iran since the start of the year.
The country allows for a strict enforcement of Islamic law.
Crimes that are punishable by death penalty in Iran include drug trafficking, murder, rape, armed robbery and kidnapping.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says