Iran hangs 24 drug traffickers in mass execution
Tehran: Iran hanged 24 convicted drug
traffickers in a prison last week in one of the country`s
biggest mass executions, the Etemad newspaper reported today.
"On Thursday, 24 international drug traffickers were
hanged in a prison in Karaj," deputy Tehran prosecutor Mahmoud
Salarkia was quoted as saying. "Their execution was approved
by the supreme court."
The report did not identify any of those sent to the
gallows in Karaj, a town west of Tehran.
The latest hangings bring to at least 219 the number of
people executed in the Islamic republic so far this year,
according to an AFP count based on news reports.
They were the second such executions in about a month in
the same prison, where the Iranian authorities hanged 20 drug
traffickers on July 4.
In July last year, Iran hanged 29 people who had been
convicted of various crimes, including murder, rape and drug
trafficking. It was the largest mass execution in recent
In January last year, 13 people were hanged, including a
mother of two found guilty of murdering her husband.
In 2008, Iran executed 246 people, second only to China.
Tehran says the death penalty is a necessary tool for
maintaining public security and is only applied after
exhaustive judicial proceedings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video