Iran hangs 24 drug traffickers in mass execution
Tehran: Iran hanged 24 convicted drug
traffickers in a prison last week in one of the country`s
biggest mass executions, the Etemad newspaper reported today.
"On Thursday, 24 international drug traffickers were
hanged in a prison in Karaj," deputy Tehran prosecutor Mahmoud
Salarkia was quoted as saying. "Their execution was approved
by the supreme court."
The report did not identify any of those sent to the
gallows in Karaj, a town west of Tehran.
The latest hangings bring to at least 219 the number of
people executed in the Islamic republic so far this year,
according to an AFP count based on news reports.
They were the second such executions in about a month in
the same prison, where the Iranian authorities hanged 20 drug
traffickers on July 4.
In July last year, Iran hanged 29 people who had been
convicted of various crimes, including murder, rape and drug
trafficking. It was the largest mass execution in recent
In January last year, 13 people were hanged, including a
mother of two found guilty of murdering her husband.
In 2008, Iran executed 246 people, second only to China.
Tehran says the death penalty is a necessary tool for
maintaining public security and is only applied after
exhaustive judicial proceedings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people