Iran hangs 7 convicted drug smugglers
Tehran: Iran hanged seven men on Monday for smuggling drugs, the official IRNA news agency reported.
The convicted men were executed inside a prison in the western province of Kermanshah. "They had procured and distributed narcotics ranging from 5 kg (11 lb) of heroin to 100 kg (220 lb) of synthetic crack," said prosecutor Mojtaba Maleki.
According to a law passed by Parliament in December, procurement and distribution of more than 30 g (1.06 oz) of drugs is punishable by death. State media on Saturday reported the execution of eight other drug smugglers in the holy Shi`ite city of Qom.
Human rights groups criticise Iran for maintaining one of the highest execution rates in the world. Murder, adultery, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and apostasy -- the renouncing of Islam -- are all punishable by death under Iran`s Islamic law, practised since the 1979 revolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez