Iran hangs 7 convicted drug smugglers
Tehran: Iran hanged seven men on Monday for smuggling drugs, the official IRNA news agency reported.
The convicted men were executed inside a prison in the western province of Kermanshah. "They had procured and distributed narcotics ranging from 5 kg (11 lb) of heroin to 100 kg (220 lb) of synthetic crack," said prosecutor Mojtaba Maleki.
According to a law passed by Parliament in December, procurement and distribution of more than 30 g (1.06 oz) of drugs is punishable by death. State media on Saturday reported the execution of eight other drug smugglers in the holy Shi`ite city of Qom.
Human rights groups criticise Iran for maintaining one of the highest execution rates in the world. Murder, adultery, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and apostasy -- the renouncing of Islam -- are all punishable by death under Iran`s Islamic law, practised since the 1979 revolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda