Iran hangs 7 convicted drug smugglers
Tehran: Iran hanged seven men on Monday for smuggling drugs, the official IRNA news agency reported.
The convicted men were executed inside a prison in the western province of Kermanshah. "They had procured and distributed narcotics ranging from 5 kg (11 lb) of heroin to 100 kg (220 lb) of synthetic crack," said prosecutor Mojtaba Maleki.
According to a law passed by Parliament in December, procurement and distribution of more than 30 g (1.06 oz) of drugs is punishable by death. State media on Saturday reported the execution of eight other drug smugglers in the holy Shi`ite city of Qom.
Human rights groups criticise Iran for maintaining one of the highest execution rates in the world. Murder, adultery, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and apostasy -- the renouncing of Islam -- are all punishable by death under Iran`s Islamic law, practised since the 1979 revolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP