Iran hangs 8 drug traffickers: Report
Tehran: Iran has hanged eight drug traffickers in a prison in the southeastern city of Kerman, Fars news agency reported on Thursday.
The agency, which published only the first names of the eight, did not say when the executions were carried out or if the condemned were all hanged at the same time.
The latest hangings bring the number of executions in Iran to at least 125 this year, according to a report. At least 270 people were hanged in
Iran says the death penalty is essential to maintain public security and is applied only after exhaustive judicial proceedings.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and adultery are all punishable by death in the Islamic republic.
Iran is among the countries that execute the most people each year, along with China, Saudi Arabia and the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray