Iran hangs child murderer: Report
Tehran: Iran on Saturday hanged a man convicted of
murdering a child in the city of Qom, south of the capital
Tehran, the Fars news agency reported.
The man sent to the gallows was only identified by the
initials HS and was sentenced to death after the court found
him guilty of killing an eight-year-old boy who was on his way
from home to a nearby grocery shop.
He was hanged in a prison in Qom in the presence of the
The latest hanging brings to 172 the number of executions
reported in Iran so far this year, according to a news agency tally
based on media and official reports.
Iranian media reported 179 hangings last year but
international human rights groups say the actual number was
much higher, ranking the Islamic republic second only to China
in the number of people it executed.
Tehran says the death penalty is essential to maintain
law and order, and applied only after exhaustive judicial
proceedings. Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and
adultery are among the crimes punishable by death in Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon