Iran hangs convicted drug trafficker: Report
Tehran: Iran has hanged a convicted drug
trafficker in the southern city of Kerman, a newspaper
reported on Sunday.
The man identified as Omid A was hanged in the city`s
prison, the Vatan Emrouz newspaper said without giving the
date of execution.
He was convicted of transporting and distributing
4,800 kilogrammes of opium and 150 kilogrammes of heroin, the
The hanging brings to at least 265 the number of
people executed in Iran so far this year, according to an AFP
count based on news reports.
In 2008, Iran executed 246 people, the highest number
in any country bar China.
Tehran says the death penalty is necessary for
maintaining public security and is applied only after
exhaustive judicial proceedings.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and
adultery are all punishable by death in the Islamic republic
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here comes a solar cell that functions like a plant
- BJP MP Anurag Thakur is Lt Anurag Thakur now, joins Territorial Army – Watch his pics here
- What an achievement! Anurag Thakur becomes first BJP MP to be commissioned into Territorial Army
- Rahul Gandhi kicks off Congress' poll campaign in Lucknow; vows to make UP no. 1 state, praises Sheila Dikshit
- Jeff Bezos world's third-richest, surpasses Warren Buffett: Forbes