Iran hangs convicted drug trafficker: Report
Tehran: Iran has hanged a convicted drug
trafficker in the southern city of Kerman, a newspaper
reported on Sunday.
The man identified as Omid A was hanged in the city`s
prison, the Vatan Emrouz newspaper said without giving the
date of execution.
He was convicted of transporting and distributing
4,800 kilogrammes of opium and 150 kilogrammes of heroin, the
The hanging brings to at least 265 the number of
people executed in Iran so far this year, according to an AFP
count based on news reports.
In 2008, Iran executed 246 people, the highest number
in any country bar China.
Tehran says the death penalty is necessary for
maintaining public security and is applied only after
exhaustive judicial proceedings.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and
adultery are all punishable by death in the Islamic republic
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you