Iran hangs five convicts in public
Tehran: Iran`s official news agency is
reporting that five prisoners have been hanged in public,
including a convicted serial killer. The others had been found
guilty of rape and armed robbery.
Hangings today brought the number of executions to 130
since the beginning of the year. The figure was compiled from
local media reports.
International rights groups have criticized Iran for
the growing pace of hangings.
Crimes punishable with death sentences also include
kidnapping and drug trafficking.
The report by the IRNA news agency identifies one of
the executed prisoners as Mahdi Faraji and says he was
convicted of killing five woman and stealing their jewellery. He
was hanged in the northern city of Qazvin.
The four other convicts were hanged in the southern
city of Shiraz.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra