Iran hangs five convicts in public
Tehran: Iran`s official news agency is
reporting that five prisoners have been hanged in public,
including a convicted serial killer. The others had been found
guilty of rape and armed robbery.
Hangings today brought the number of executions to 130
since the beginning of the year. The figure was compiled from
local media reports.
International rights groups have criticized Iran for
the growing pace of hangings.
Crimes punishable with death sentences also include
kidnapping and drug trafficking.
The report by the IRNA news agency identifies one of
the executed prisoners as Mahdi Faraji and says he was
convicted of killing five woman and stealing their jewellery. He
was hanged in the northern city of Qazvin.
The four other convicts were hanged in the southern
city of Shiraz.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list