Iran hangs five convicts in public
Tehran: Iran`s official news agency is
reporting that five prisoners have been hanged in public,
including a convicted serial killer. The others had been found
guilty of rape and armed robbery.
Hangings today brought the number of executions to 130
since the beginning of the year. The figure was compiled from
local media reports.
International rights groups have criticized Iran for
the growing pace of hangings.
Crimes punishable with death sentences also include
kidnapping and drug trafficking.
The report by the IRNA news agency identifies one of
the executed prisoners as Mahdi Faraji and says he was
convicted of killing five woman and stealing their jewellery. He
was hanged in the northern city of Qazvin.
The four other convicts were hanged in the southern
city of Shiraz.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda