Iran hangs five drug traffickers: Report
Tehran: Iran has hanged five people in the central city of Isfahan after finding them guilty of drug trafficking, state television`s website said on Monday.
The report did not identify those who were hanged but said the executions were carried out in Isfahan`s main prison, without specifying the date of the hangings.
The latest hangings bring the number of executions in Iran to at least 134 in 2010 so far, according to a count based on media reports. At least 270 people were hanged last year.
Iran says the death penalty is essential to maintain public security and is applied only after exhaustive judicial proceedings.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and adultery are all punishable by death in the Islamic republic.
Iran is one of the leading countries that carry out executions each year, along with China, Saudi Arabia and the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand