Iran hangs five drug traffickers: Report
Tehran: Iran has hanged five people in the central city of Isfahan after finding them guilty of drug trafficking, state television`s website said on Monday.
The report did not identify those who were hanged but said the executions were carried out in Isfahan`s main prison, without specifying the date of the hangings.
The latest hangings bring the number of executions in Iran to at least 134 in 2010 so far, according to a count based on media reports. At least 270 people were hanged last year.
Iran says the death penalty is essential to maintain public security and is applied only after exhaustive judicial proceedings.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and adultery are all punishable by death in the Islamic republic.
Iran is one of the leading countries that carry out executions each year, along with China, Saudi Arabia and the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details