Iran hangs five drug traffickers: Report
Tehran: Iran has hanged five people in the central city of Isfahan after finding them guilty of drug trafficking, state television`s website said on Monday.
The report did not identify those who were hanged but said the executions were carried out in Isfahan`s main prison, without specifying the date of the hangings.
The latest hangings bring the number of executions in Iran to at least 134 in 2010 so far, according to a count based on media reports. At least 270 people were hanged last year.
Iran says the death penalty is essential to maintain public security and is applied only after exhaustive judicial proceedings.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and adultery are all punishable by death in the Islamic republic.
Iran is one of the leading countries that carry out executions each year, along with China, Saudi Arabia and the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price