Iran hangs rapist in Karaj
Tehran: An Iranian man convicted of rape
was hanged today in a prison in the city of Karaj on the
western outskirts of Tehran, the ISNA news agency reported.
The report said Mohammad Orouji, 25, had also been
convicted of consuming alcohol.
The sentence included 80 lashes, but the report did
not say whether Orouji was whipped before his execution.
The latest hanging brings to at least 259 the number
of people executed in Iran so far this year, according to a
count based on news reports.
In 2008, Iran hanged 246 people, the highest number of
executions carried out by any country except for China.
Tehran says the death penalty is necessary for
maintaining public security and is applied only after
exhaustive judicial proceedings.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and
adultery are all punishable by death in the Islamic republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah