Iran hangs rapist in Karaj
Tehran: An Iranian man convicted of rape
was hanged today in a prison in the city of Karaj on the
western outskirts of Tehran, the ISNA news agency reported.
The report said Mohammad Orouji, 25, had also been
convicted of consuming alcohol.
The sentence included 80 lashes, but the report did
not say whether Orouji was whipped before his execution.
The latest hanging brings to at least 259 the number
of people executed in Iran so far this year, according to a
count based on news reports.
In 2008, Iran hanged 246 people, the highest number of
executions carried out by any country except for China.
Tehran says the death penalty is necessary for
maintaining public security and is applied only after
exhaustive judicial proceedings.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and
adultery are all punishable by death in the Islamic republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Setback for Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan for threatening woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi
- 21 patients die on single day in Hyderabad govt hospital, staff blame power outage
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane