Iran hangs rapist in Karaj
Tehran: An Iranian man convicted of rape
was hanged today in a prison in the city of Karaj on the
western outskirts of Tehran, the ISNA news agency reported.
The report said Mohammad Orouji, 25, had also been
convicted of consuming alcohol.
The sentence included 80 lashes, but the report did
not say whether Orouji was whipped before his execution.
The latest hanging brings to at least 259 the number
of people executed in Iran so far this year, according to a
count based on news reports.
In 2008, Iran hanged 246 people, the highest number of
executions carried out by any country except for China.
Tehran says the death penalty is necessary for
maintaining public security and is applied only after
exhaustive judicial proceedings.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and
adultery are all punishable by death in the Islamic republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations