Iran hangs two child rapists in public
Tehran: Iran on Sunday hanged in public in the western city of Kermanshahon two men convicted of child rape, the official news agency reported.
The men sent to gallows were identified as P Mohammadi Pashterizeh and A Namaki, convicted respectively of raping a child and filming the act and of raping a nine-year-old child.
IRNA reported that the crowd gathered in the square where the executions were carried out shouted, “Judiciary, thanks … thanks.”
No additional information was given.
Iran says the death penalty is essential to maintain law and order, and that it is applied only after exhaustive judicial proceedings.
The latest hangings bring to 145 the number of executions reported in Iran so far in 2011, according to a news agency count based on media and official reports.
Iranian media reported 179 hangings last year. But international human rights groups say the actual number was much higher, making the Islamic republic second only to China in the number of people it put to death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- India, Bangladesh enclave residents get freedom after 68 years