Iran hangs two child rapists in public
Tehran: Iran on Sunday hanged in public in the western city of Kermanshahon two men convicted of child rape, the official news agency reported.
The men sent to gallows were identified as P Mohammadi Pashterizeh and A Namaki, convicted respectively of raping a child and filming the act and of raping a nine-year-old child.
IRNA reported that the crowd gathered in the square where the executions were carried out shouted, “Judiciary, thanks … thanks.”
No additional information was given.
Iran says the death penalty is essential to maintain law and order, and that it is applied only after exhaustive judicial proceedings.
The latest hangings bring to 145 the number of executions reported in Iran so far in 2011, according to a news agency count based on media and official reports.
Iranian media reported 179 hangings last year. But international human rights groups say the actual number was much higher, making the Islamic republic second only to China in the number of people it put to death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?