Iran hangs two murderers: Report
Tehran: Iran has hanged two men convicted
of murder, in executions carried out in prison in the central
city of Isfahan, the Etemad newspaper reported on Wednesday.
The men were only identified by their first names as
Esmail, 23, who was found guilty of strangling a 19-year-old
woman and Moslem, 28, who had stabbed his friend to death, the
The hangings carried out yesterday bring to at least 183
the number of people executed in the Islamic republic so far
this year, according to an AFP count based on news reports. In
2008, Iran executed 246 people, second only to China.
Tehran says the death penalty is a necessary tool for
maintaining public security and is only applied after
exhaustive judicial proceedings.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drugs trafficking and
adultery are all punishable by death in Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble