Iran hangs two murderers: Report
Tehran: Iran has hanged two men convicted
of murder, in executions carried out in prison in the central
city of Isfahan, the Etemad newspaper reported on Wednesday.
The men were only identified by their first names as
Esmail, 23, who was found guilty of strangling a 19-year-old
woman and Moslem, 28, who had stabbed his friend to death, the
The hangings carried out yesterday bring to at least 183
the number of people executed in the Islamic republic so far
this year, according to an AFP count based on news reports. In
2008, Iran executed 246 people, second only to China.
Tehran says the death penalty is a necessary tool for
maintaining public security and is only applied after
exhaustive judicial proceedings.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drugs trafficking and
adultery are all punishable by death in Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you