Iran has material for 4 nuclear bombs: Israeli Gen
Jerusalem: Iran has enough radioactive
material to produce four nuclear bombs, Israel`s chief of
military intelligence, General Aviv Kochavi, warned on Thursday at a
"Today international intelligence agencies are in
agreement with Israel that Iran has close to 100 kilograms of
uranium enriched to 20 per cent, which is enough to produce
four bombs," he told the annual Herzliya conference.
"Iran is very actively pursuing its efforts to develop
its nuclear capacities, and we have evidence that they are
seeking nuclear weapons," he said.
"We estimate they would need a year from when the order
is given to produce a weapon."
Israel and much of the international community have long
accused Iran of using its nuclear programme to mask a drive
for weapons, a charge Tehran denies.
The Jewish state, which has the Middle East`s sole if
undeclared nuclear arsenal, has pushed for tough sanctions
against Iran and warned that it retains the option of a
military strike if necessary to prevent Tehran from obtaining
Kochavi also warned that Israel faces increasing threats
from more conventional weapons, including "some 200,000
rockets and missiles," in the hands of Israel`s enemies.
Intelligence estimates, he said, showed "one in every 10
houses in south Lebanon is a storage facility for missiles or
rockets or a launch pad for devices that are increasingly
accurate and destructive."
"From Lebanon, Syria and of course from Iran, they can
hit the heart of our cities, and the whole region of Tel Aviv
is within their reach," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling