`Iran, Hezbollah build strong force to help Assad`
London: Iran and Hezbollah have built a 50,000-strong parallel force in Syria to help the regime of President Bashar-al Assad in its fight against rebels demanding his ouster, Israel`s military intelligence chief has claimed.
Major General Aviv Kochavi said Iran intended to double the size of this Syrian ‘people`s army’, which he claimed was being trained by Hezbollah fighters and funded by Tehran.
According to Guardian, Kochavi, the director of military intelligence in the Israel defence forces (IDF), also said Assad`s troops had readied chemical weapons, but so far had not been given the order for them to be used.
The official claimed that since last June Tehran had been using Hezbollah to build up a large Syrian militia that would be Iranian-controlled even in the event of Assad`s fall from power.
According to the paper, Kochavi told the Herzliya Conference, a meeting of security officials and analysts in Israel that Iran and Hezbollah support Assad operationally on the ground, with strategic consultation, intelligence, weapons.
Most recently, they are establishing a ``people`s army`` trained by Hezbollah and financed by Iran, currently consisting of 50,000 men, with plans to increase to 100,000, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram