Iran imposes media blackout over woman stoning
London: Iran has imposed a media blackout over the case of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, the 43-year-old mother of two, who was sentenced to be stoned to death and whose fate is still unclear despite an apparent "reprieve".
Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani is still facing execution by hanging after being convicted of adultery, her son told The Guardian on Saturday.
Newspapers, agencies and TV channels in Iran have been banned from reporting Mohammadi Ashtiani`s death sentence, despite an international campaign launched by her children, which has been joined by politicians and celebrities from all over the world.
The campaign, first highlighted by The Guardian last week, has failed to stop the Iranian authorities from pressing ahead.
Last night the Iranian embassy in London issued an opaque statement saying that Mohammadi Ashtiani would not be stoned to death.
"According to information from the relevant judicial authorities in Iran, she will not be executed by stoning punishment," it said.
The statement was not reported inside Iran and neither was the news of stoning death sentences for 15 other Iranians.
Iran has not stoned a woman to death since 2007 when the execution of Mahboubeh M sparked outcry in Iran. She had been forced to confess to adultery.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!