Iran inaugurates anti-cruise missile system
Nicosia: The Iranian government announced on Tuesday the start of production of a missile defence system capable of destroying cruise missiles flying at low altitude.
Iranian Defence Minister Ahmad Vahidi was quoted by the Fars News Agency as saying that the system called Mesbah 1 (Lantern) has high destruction power and can prevent the attacks of cruise missiles, airplanes, choppers and other air threats.
Vahidi added that the system offers rapid reaction against threats, firing up to 4,000 shots per minute, with high targeting precision. It can also intercept Unmanned Arial Vehicles (UAVs).
He said that the system will be deployed in the near future.
Furthermore, he revealed that his ministry is working on different short-range, mid-range and long-range air-defense systems.
Earlier in September 2009, a senior Iranian commander announced that the country`s experts managed to build hi-tech missile defense systems capable of tracing and intercepting cruise missiles.
Iran has developed its own defence industry since the Iran-Iraq war of 1980-88 after a United States imposed embargo on weapons sales to Tehran. Iran now produces its own tanks, armoured personnel carriers, missiles, fighter jets and other high-tech weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad