Iran inaugurates anti-cruise missile system
Nicosia: The Iranian government announced on Tuesday the start of production of a missile defence system capable of destroying cruise missiles flying at low altitude.
Iranian Defence Minister Ahmad Vahidi was quoted by the Fars News Agency as saying that the system called Mesbah 1 (Lantern) has high destruction power and can prevent the attacks of cruise missiles, airplanes, choppers and other air threats.
Vahidi added that the system offers rapid reaction against threats, firing up to 4,000 shots per minute, with high targeting precision. It can also intercept Unmanned Arial Vehicles (UAVs).
He said that the system will be deployed in the near future.
Furthermore, he revealed that his ministry is working on different short-range, mid-range and long-range air-defense systems.
Earlier in September 2009, a senior Iranian commander announced that the country`s experts managed to build hi-tech missile defense systems capable of tracing and intercepting cruise missiles.
Iran has developed its own defence industry since the Iran-Iraq war of 1980-88 after a United States imposed embargo on weapons sales to Tehran. Iran now produces its own tanks, armoured personnel carriers, missiles, fighter jets and other high-tech weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song