Iran inaugurates anti-cruise missile system
Nicosia: The Iranian government announced on Tuesday the start of production of a missile defence system capable of destroying cruise missiles flying at low altitude.
Iranian Defence Minister Ahmad Vahidi was quoted by the Fars News Agency as saying that the system called Mesbah 1 (Lantern) has high destruction power and can prevent the attacks of cruise missiles, airplanes, choppers and other air threats.
Vahidi added that the system offers rapid reaction against threats, firing up to 4,000 shots per minute, with high targeting precision. It can also intercept Unmanned Arial Vehicles (UAVs).
He said that the system will be deployed in the near future.
Furthermore, he revealed that his ministry is working on different short-range, mid-range and long-range air-defense systems.
Earlier in September 2009, a senior Iranian commander announced that the country`s experts managed to build hi-tech missile defense systems capable of tracing and intercepting cruise missiles.
Iran has developed its own defence industry since the Iran-Iraq war of 1980-88 after a United States imposed embargo on weapons sales to Tehran. Iran now produces its own tanks, armoured personnel carriers, missiles, fighter jets and other high-tech weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened