Iran inaugurates new cross-country gas pipeline
Tehran: Iran has operationalised the first
phase of the proposed Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline, a USD 1.7
billion project from which India has backtracked.
The project, which is Iran`s 7th cross-country gas
venture is regarded as the first phase of the proposed
Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline.
The pipeline, which extends 902 kilometers from
Assalouyeh in the southwest of Iran to Iranshahr in the
southeast will transfer natural gas from the South Pars gas
field to some of Iran`s southern provinces.
First Vice President Mohammad-Reza Rahimi and Oil
Minister Masoud Mirkazemi attended the inauguration ceremony
The second section of the pipeline, which is to be about
400 kilometers in length, will be established by Iran`s
Khatam-ol-Anbia Construction Headquarters at a cost of 200 to
250 million dollars.
Iran, Pakistan, and India conceptualised the project in
the 1990s to promote peace and increase security in the
Due to tense India-Pakistan relations, New Delhi stepped
back from the later stages of negotiations, although it has
never formally withdrawn from the project.
The IPI gas pipeline is a proposed 2,775-kilometer
pipeline for delivering natural gas from Iran to Pakistan and
India, though the signature of a final deal agreement has been
delayed several times over price and political issues.
Iran`s proven natural gas reserves stand at about 1,000
trillion cubic feet, of which 33 per cent is located in
associated gas fields and 67 per cent in non-associated gas
Iran has the world`s second largest reserves of natural
gas after Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends