Iran is `festering sore`: US Senate leader
Washington: The top US senator on Thursday branded Iran a "festering sore in the world" as he vowed to move quickly on a package of tough US economic sanctions to punish Tehran`s nuclear defiance.
"In my opinion, we have waited long enough for the diplomacy to work. Iran is a festering sore in the world," Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told reporters in unusually tough language.
Reid`s comments came as the US Congress took a key step towards imposing new sanctions targeting Iran`s imports of gasoline and other refined petroleum products to force the Islamic republic to halt its suspect nuclear program.
The House of Representatives voted 403-11 to appoint "conferees" to huddle with their Senate counterparts and meld the two chambers` rival versions of sanctions legislation into one compromise bill for passage within weeks.
"As they get it out, I will move everything within my power to move it to the floor. The Middle East is unstable. This will help stabilise it," Reid said after the vote, which urges the lawmakers complete their work by May 28.
Because of a lack of domestic refining capacity, oil-rich Iran is dependent on gasoline imports to meet about 40 percent of domestic consumption.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram