Iran issues arrest warrant against stoning case lawyer, arrests relatives
London: Iran has issued an arrest warrant against Mohammad Mostafaei, one of its acclaimed lawyers, who is fighting the case of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, sentenced to death by stoning, and re-arrested his wife and brother-in-law in his absence.
"It is ridiculous that they have taken Mostafaei`s family as ransom, they have somehow taken them hostage. This confirms what Sakineh`s son wrote in his public letter, that there`s no justice in Iran," The Guardian quoted Mina Ahadi, a human rights activist for Iran Committee against Stoning (ICAS), based in Germany who spoke to Mostafaei after he was interrogated, as saying.
"Mohammadi Ashtiani`s sentence is not Mostafaei`s first stoning case, he has defended many others against execution by stoning but it was Sakineh`s story which took world attention and made the Iranian authorities angry," she added.
On Saturday, Mohammad Mostafaei`s office in Tehran was ransacked and he was interrogated at the Evin prison for four hours over his human rights activities and involvement in the case, but was released later in the day.
He was again called back for further questioning before being set free. Authorities then issued an arrest warrant against him but when he could not be found, the authorities arrested his wife, Fereshteh Halimi and her brother Farhad Halimi to try to force him to surrender. However, it is still unclear whether Mostafaei has been arrested or he has managed to evade the officials, The Guardian reports.
The case of 43-year-old Ashtiani, convicted of adultery, has drawn international attention since her children launched a campaign for her release almost a month ago.
Earlier, Mostafaei volunteered to take up the case calling Ashtiani’s stoning sentence "a bogus conviction" and "absolutely illegal”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda