Iran jails opposition ex-MP for six years: Reports
Tehran: Iran has sentenced senior reformist and former MP Mohsen Safai Farahani, arrested after the disputed June presidential election, to six years in jail, Opposition websites reported on Sunday.
"Last night (Saturday), he was informed of the verdict after spending more than 200 days in custody. He was sentenced to six years in prison," Kaleme and Parlemannews websites said.
They did not say what charges Safai Farahani was
He was rounded up along with scores of prominent
reformists and journalists shortly after the June 12 poll
which gave hardliner Mahmoud Ahmadinejad a second term amid
widespread fraud allegations.
The government accused its reformist opponents of seeking
to undermine the regime by instigating mass street protests
Several have been sentenced to hefty prison terms. Some
have been released on bail pending possible appeals.
A veteran industrialist, Safai Farahani, 61, is one of
the leaders of Iran`s largest reformist party, the Islamic
Iran Participation Front, which strongly backed Ahmadinejad`s
leading challenger in the vote, former prime minister Mir
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video