Iran jails opposition ex-MP for six years: Reports
Tehran: Iran has sentenced senior reformist and former MP Mohsen Safai Farahani, arrested after the disputed June presidential election, to six years in jail, Opposition websites reported on Sunday.
"Last night (Saturday), he was informed of the verdict after spending more than 200 days in custody. He was sentenced to six years in prison," Kaleme and Parlemannews websites said.
They did not say what charges Safai Farahani was
He was rounded up along with scores of prominent
reformists and journalists shortly after the June 12 poll
which gave hardliner Mahmoud Ahmadinejad a second term amid
widespread fraud allegations.
The government accused its reformist opponents of seeking
to undermine the regime by instigating mass street protests
Several have been sentenced to hefty prison terms. Some
have been released on bail pending possible appeals.
A veteran industrialist, Safai Farahani, 61, is one of
the leaders of Iran`s largest reformist party, the Islamic
Iran Participation Front, which strongly backed Ahmadinejad`s
leading challenger in the vote, former prime minister Mir
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand