Iran jails rights activist for `warring against God`
Tehran: Iran has sentenced women`s rights activist, Shiva Nazar-Ahari, to six years in jail on charges including "warring against God", an offence that can carry the death penalty, Sunday newspapers quoted her lawyer as saying.
She is the latest among the scores of activists picked up amid the mass protests that followed hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s controversial re-election in June last year to receive a stiff jail sentence.
At least 10 of those arrested have been given death sentences.
Nazar-Ahari "has been sentenced to three and a half years in jail for Moharebeh (warring against God), two years for conspiracy to commit a crime and six months for propaganda against the regime," her lawyer Mohammad Sharif said.
The court ordered her to serve the jail term in the town of Izeh, 800 kilometres (500 miles) from her home city of Tehran, Sharif said.
He added that he would lodge an appeal, the moderate Arman newspaper reported.
Nazar-Ahari, 26, had been granted bail earlier this month amid international concern about the possible death sentence.
The capital charge was reportedly levelled against her over suspicions she had ties with the Tehran regime`s most hated foe -- the exiled opposition People`s Mujahedeen of Iran (PMOI) -- an accusation she strongly denied.
Nazar-Ahari was first granted bail three months after her initial arrest but was rearrested last December while on her way to the Shiite shrine city of Qom for the funeral of dissident cleric, Grand Ayatollah Hossein Ali Montazeri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks