Iran kills 30 Kurdish rebels near Iraqi border
Tehran: Iran`s Revolutionary Guard soldiers
have killed at least 30 members of Kurdish opposition group in
fighting near the Iraqi border, a senior military official
said on Monday.
Col Hamid Ahmadi was quoted by state TV as saying that 40
other members of the Iranian Kurdish group PEJAK were injured
during fierce clashes outside the border city of Sardasht.
PEJAK, which stands for the Party of Free Life of
Kurdistan, has been involved in sporadic armed clashes with
Iranian forces in recent years. The rebels say they are
fighting for greater rights for their minority community.
Iran`s Revolutionary Guard announced a new military
offensive intended to drive PEJAK from positions in Iran last
week, saying it resumed military operations after the
expiration of a one-month deadline it had set for the group to
leave the border region.
Tehran maintains it has the right to attack PEJAK`s bases
across the border in Iraq and has accused residents of Iraq`s
Kurdish north of providing a safe haven for the rebels. Iraqi
Kurds control three provinces in northern Iraq that make up
their autonomous region.
Iran has sporadically bombed PEJAK bases deep inside
Iraq`s northern Kurdistan region.
Inside Iraq, meanwhile, a PEJAK spokesman declared an
immediate, unilateral cease-fire today. Shirzad Kamanger
appealed for Iranian forces to stop shelling rebel bases and
open talks over their demands for greater rights in Iran.
Ahmadi rejected the call.
"As a result of heavy Guard fire, they`ve asked for a
cease-fire. ... A cease-fire with a terrorist group doesn`t
make any sense," he was quoted as saying. "We want them to
leave the border region before any dialogue can be held."
Iran has publicly accused the president of Iraq`s
semi-autonomous Kurdish region, Massoud Barzani, of providing
bases to PEJAK without informing the central Iraqi government
Iran has also accused the US, Britain and Israel of
seeking to incite tension on Iran`s borders to undermine the
government in Tehran, charges those three countries have
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister