Iran kills 30 Kurdish rebels near Iraqi border
Tehran: Iran`s Revolutionary Guard soldiers
have killed at least 30 members of Kurdish opposition group in
fighting near the Iraqi border, a senior military official
said on Monday.
Col Hamid Ahmadi was quoted by state TV as saying that 40
other members of the Iranian Kurdish group PEJAK were injured
during fierce clashes outside the border city of Sardasht.
PEJAK, which stands for the Party of Free Life of
Kurdistan, has been involved in sporadic armed clashes with
Iranian forces in recent years. The rebels say they are
fighting for greater rights for their minority community.
Iran`s Revolutionary Guard announced a new military
offensive intended to drive PEJAK from positions in Iran last
week, saying it resumed military operations after the
expiration of a one-month deadline it had set for the group to
leave the border region.
Tehran maintains it has the right to attack PEJAK`s bases
across the border in Iraq and has accused residents of Iraq`s
Kurdish north of providing a safe haven for the rebels. Iraqi
Kurds control three provinces in northern Iraq that make up
their autonomous region.
Iran has sporadically bombed PEJAK bases deep inside
Iraq`s northern Kurdistan region.
Inside Iraq, meanwhile, a PEJAK spokesman declared an
immediate, unilateral cease-fire today. Shirzad Kamanger
appealed for Iranian forces to stop shelling rebel bases and
open talks over their demands for greater rights in Iran.
Ahmadi rejected the call.
"As a result of heavy Guard fire, they`ve asked for a
cease-fire. ... A cease-fire with a terrorist group doesn`t
make any sense," he was quoted as saying. "We want them to
leave the border region before any dialogue can be held."
Iran has publicly accused the president of Iraq`s
semi-autonomous Kurdish region, Massoud Barzani, of providing
bases to PEJAK without informing the central Iraqi government
Iran has also accused the US, Britain and Israel of
seeking to incite tension on Iran`s borders to undermine the
government in Tehran, charges those three countries have
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof