Iran launches rearmed destroyer on Persian Gulf
Tehran: Iran says it has launched a 50-year-old destroyer on the Persian Gulf after overhauling it and rearming with modern missiles.
Since 1992, Iran has been pursuing a self-sufficiency military program, reportedly producing its own jet fighters, tanks, missiles and light submarines as well as torpedoes.
Tuesday`s report by state TV quotes Rear Admiral Abbas Zamini as saying that experts had equipped the destroyer Bayandor during its 20-month overhaul with anti-ship missiles capable of firing 160 kilometres.
Zamini says the destroyer joined Iran`s Navy in 1964 and is named after a World War II war hero.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa