Iran launches second domestic-made destroyer in Caspian Sea
Tehran: Iran launched its second domestically-made Jamaran-2 destroyer in the Caspian Sea on Sunday.
In the ceremony held in the northern port city of Bandar Anzali, Iran``s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad hailed the construction of the destroyer as the "great achievement" for the Islamic republic.
The launch of the "advanced" warship in the Caspian Sea would be a "step toward the establishment of security" in the sea, he added.
The warship has been designed and built by the experts at Iran`` s Defense Ministry and has state-of-the-art navigation equipment and complex defensive systems, Press TV reported Sunday.
According to the report, the destroyer, with a displacement of around 1,420 tons, is powered by a 20,000-horsepower engine with a speed of 30 knots and has the capability to carry helicopters, different surface-to-surface and surface-to-air missiles, advanced artilleries and torpedo system. It is also equipped with electronic war system.
Jamaran-2 will officially join the fleet of Iran``s Navy within the next six months after the completion of final tests, said Press TV.
In February 2010, Iran``s navy launched Jamaran-1 destroyer in the Persian Gulf, which is equipped with modern radars and electronic warfare capabilities.
The multi-mission Jamaran-1 destroyer, which has a top speed of 30 knots as well, can carry 120-140 personnel onboard and is also armed with a variety of anti-ship and surface-to-air missiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees