‘Iran leader orders sacking of Ahmadinejad VP pick’
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah
Ali Khamenei on Friday ordered the dismissal of President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad`s pick for Vice President, close aide Esfandiar
Rahim Mashaie, state television reported.
"The appointment of Mr Rahim Mashaie as a deputy to
the president is against your best interest and the
government`s interest, and it will cause division and
frustration among your supporters," Khamenei was quoted as
saying in a letter about the controversial appointment.
"It is necessary that the appointment be cancelled,"
he added, the channel said without giving a date for the
Ahmadinejad`s naming of Rahim Mashaie as his first
deputy last week had sparked a chorus of opposition in Iran,
even among the hardline incumbent`s own hardline supporters.
They had been outraged by comments the vice president
made about the Islamic republic`s arch-foe Israel last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!