‘Iran leader orders sacking of Ahmadinejad VP pick’
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah
Ali Khamenei on Friday ordered the dismissal of President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad`s pick for Vice President, close aide Esfandiar
Rahim Mashaie, state television reported.
"The appointment of Mr Rahim Mashaie as a deputy to
the president is against your best interest and the
government`s interest, and it will cause division and
frustration among your supporters," Khamenei was quoted as
saying in a letter about the controversial appointment.
"It is necessary that the appointment be cancelled,"
he added, the channel said without giving a date for the
Ahmadinejad`s naming of Rahim Mashaie as his first
deputy last week had sparked a chorus of opposition in Iran,
even among the hardline incumbent`s own hardline supporters.
They had been outraged by comments the vice president
made about the Islamic republic`s arch-foe Israel last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation