‘Iran leader orders sacking of Ahmadinejad VP pick’
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah
Ali Khamenei on Friday ordered the dismissal of President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad`s pick for Vice President, close aide Esfandiar
Rahim Mashaie, state television reported.
"The appointment of Mr Rahim Mashaie as a deputy to
the president is against your best interest and the
government`s interest, and it will cause division and
frustration among your supporters," Khamenei was quoted as
saying in a letter about the controversial appointment.
"It is necessary that the appointment be cancelled,"
he added, the channel said without giving a date for the
Ahmadinejad`s naming of Rahim Mashaie as his first
deputy last week had sparked a chorus of opposition in Iran,
even among the hardline incumbent`s own hardline supporters.
They had been outraged by comments the vice president
made about the Islamic republic`s arch-foe Israel last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Sonia Gandhi meets 13-year-old Delhi rape victim at AIIMS
- Randeep Hooda’s dream girl is beautiful – See pic
- Chemical factory blast sends shock waves in Dombivali near Mumbai; 3 dead, over 100 injured
- HC stays Haryana government's decision to grant 10% reservation to Jats, 5 other communities
- Unveiled! First teaser poster of Riteish Deshmukh, Nargis Fakhri's 'Banjo' – View pic