Iran lets Karoubi hunt new home for house arrest
Tehran: Iranian opposition leader Mehdi Karoubi has been allowed out of house arrest to look for a new home where he will be put under house arrest again, a conservative website said on Saturday.
"Karoubi has been released temporarily, he and his wife are looking for a new house," the Jahan website said. "In the new house they would still be under the supervision of the security forces to not commit any act against national security."
Opposition websites also carried the news, quoting a Karoubi advisor who had told the BBC`s Farsi service that the Karoubis needed to move as the tight security around their Tehran home had meant their neighbours had to move out.
The 73-year-old cleric stood for election against President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in June 2009. Along with fellow reformist candidate Mirhossein Mousavi, he became a figurehead of the post-election protests by Iranians who believed the vote was rigged to secure the re-election of the hardline incumbent.
The government denied any vote rigging and said the protests were stirred up by Iran`s foreign enemies who aimed to overthrow the country`s Islamic form of government.
Both Karoubi and Mousavi have been held incommunicado since they called their supporters onto the streets for a February14 rally in support of uprisings in the Arab world -- the first demonstrations by their "Green movement" since street protests were crushed by security forces at the end of 2009.
Members of the conservative dominated Parliament have called for them to be tried and hanged but so far authorities have chosen to isolate rather than officially arrest them, wary of angering their supporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video