Iran masterminded 2007 kidnap of Britons in Iraq: Report
London: A British computer expert and his four bodyguards kidnapped in Iraq in 2007 were seized in an operation masterminded by Iran`s Revolutionary Guard, media reported on Thursday.
Peter Moore was released unharmed on Wednesday after an "unspeakable" kidnap ordeal during which three of the bodyguards died.
Prime Minister Gordon Brown and his government hailed Moore`s release, which it said was due to improved reconciliation in the violence-scarred country.
A militia group in Iraq, the League of the Righteous, has been held responsible for the kidnapping from a government ministry building in Baghdad.
But the Guardian newspaper reported that the Revolutionary Guard led the operation and took the five to Iran within a day of their abduction.
The BBC also quoted the US` former commander in Iraq, General David Petraeus, as saying he was "90 percent certain" that the group was held in Iran for part of their time in captivity.
Petraeus was quoted by a correspondent as saying earlier this month: "I`m absolutely certain. I`m 90 percent certain" when asked if they were taken to Iran, adding: "I`m pretty sure I`ve seen hard intelligence on it."
Moore was targeted because he was installing a computer tracking system that would show how vast amounts of international aid money from Iraqi institutions was diverted to Iran`s militia groups in Iraq, according to the Guardian.
A former unnamed Revolutionary Guard said the five were held in two camps including one known as Qasser Shiereen close to the Iraqi border.
"It was an Iranian kidnap, led by the Revolutionary Guard, carried out by the Al-Quds brigade," he was quoted saying on the paper`s website.
"My contact works for Al-Quds. He took part in the planning of the kidnap and he watched the kidnapping as it was taking place. He told me that they spent two days at the Qasser Shiereen camp.
"They then took them deep inside Iran."
An unnamed Iraqi government minister reportedly backed up the claims.
"This was an IRG (Iranian Revolutionary Guard) operation," he said.
Britain`s Foreign Office told the paper: "We have no evidence that the British hostages, including Peter Moore, were held in Iran.”
"We are not in a position to say with any certainty where they were held during each and every single day of their two-and-a-half years in captivity."
The US Army has handed over members of the League of the Righteous group who had been held prisoner to the Iraqi government, a spokesman said on Wednesday, shortly after Moore was freed, raising speculation of a deal over his release.
The bodies of two of the bodyguards were handed over to Britain in June, followed by that of a third in September. The fate of the fourth is unknown although British officials believe he may be dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe