Iran missile test undermines claim of peaceful intent: US
Washington: Iran`s medium-range missile test
undermines the Islamic republic`s claim of peaceful intentions
and increases world resolve against Tehran`s nuclear aims, the
White House said on Wednesday.
"At a time when the international community has offered
Iran opportunities to begin to build trust and confidence,
Iran`s missile tests only undermine Iran`s claims of peaceful
intentions," said National Security Council spokesman
"Such actions will increase the seriousness and resolve
of the international community to hold Iran accountable for
its continued defiance of its international obligations on its
Iran today test-fired what it said was a faster version
of its Sejil medium-range missile with a range that would
allow it to reach targets inside Israel, drawing sharp
The defiant test of the Sejil 2 missile comes as world
powers mull fresh sanctions against the Islamic republic for
its controversial nuclear enrichment program.
Iranian state television said the missile "hit the
defined target," but gave no further details.
The two-stage Sejil, powered by solid fuel, is capable
according to Iran of traveling 2,000 kilometers (1,240 miles),
which would put arch-foe Israel, most Arab states and parts of
Europe, including much of Turkey, within range.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice