Iran mourns 1988 airliner downing by US warship
Tehran: Iranians are marking the anniversary of the downing of an airliner by a US warship in the Persian Gulf more than two decades ago.
State TV today showed relatives of the 290 dead and local officials from the regions bordering the Gulf scattering flowers from a ship and a helicopter into the waters where the Iran Air Airbus A300 crashed on July 3, 1988, killing all on board.
Participants were chanting, "Down with the U.S."
In 1999, Iran said that it had received USD 130 million from a 1996 settlement that included compensation for families of the victims.
Iran has held similar ceremonies on past anniversaries of the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof