Iran must participate in Syria talks: Russia
Moscow: Dismissing the US and British objections to Iran`s participation in an international conference on Syria, Russia has said it should take part in it.
"We are convinced that Iran should participate in that conference," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Friday.
The US and Britain claim that Iran cannot be invited because "it is misbehaving”, he added.
"When the Americans had to ensure additional security for their troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, they had no problem talking directly to Iran," Lavrov said.
He added that it was crucial to prevent bloodshed in Syria by accepting the required makeup of conference participants.
The international conference on Syria is to be held in Geneva on June 30.
Russia has said the conference should include all the permanent members of the UN Security Council, Syria`s neighbours (Iraq, Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon), as well as key players in the region (Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Iran) and international organisations (League of Arab States, European Union).
According to UN estimates, about 12,000 people have been killed in Syria since the beginning of a popular uprising against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her