Iran must take steps to ease nuke fears: UK
London: Iran must take "concrete steps" to demonstrate in upcoming talks that its nuclear aims are peaceful, Britain`s Foreign Secretary David Miliband said on Sunday.
"The Iranian issue is now a clear one that needs to be addressed," Miliband told Sky TV.
Miliband was echoing comments from US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton who said on Friday that Iran had to use discussions next month to ease fears over its nuclear program or risk greater isolation and economic pressure.
Tehran says its uranium enrichment programme is geared toward energy production but some global powers fear it is a cover for developing nuclear weapons.
Clinton has said talks scheduled for October 1 between Iran and the so-called "P5+1," which includes the five permanent members of the UN Security Council -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States -- and Germany, must address the issue.
However, Iran has repeatedly said that it will not use the discussions to bargain over its nuclear capabilities.
Miliband said he would be chairing a meeting in New York this week of the Foreign Ministers of the other six nations ahead of the October discussions.
"It`s time for concrete steps by Iran to show that they are willing to live within rules on non-proliferation treaty which have been so important in limiting nuclear proliferation over the last 40 years," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling