Iran not to pursue N-bomb production: Ahmadinejad
Tehran: Affirming that Iran was not after nuclear weapons, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has said enriching uranium to 20 percent was his country`s right.
Ahmadinejad said related countries should explain why Tehran is not allowed to enrich uranium to 20 percent and how they will reciprocate if Iran stops uranium enrichment to that purity, Xinhua reported citing IRNA news agency.
Speaking during an interview with France 24 television, Ahmadinejad said enriching uranium to 20 percent is Iran`s right and Tehran is not after nuclear weapons.
Asked if Iran would agree to let other countries provide it with higher grade enriched uranium, Ahmadinejad said he was open to the option.
According to analysts, Ahmadinejad`s remarks indicate that Tehran will likely give up production of 20 percent enriched uranium if certain conditions are met by the western countries, such as lifting part of the harsh economic sanctions, Xinhua reported.
Ahmadinejad also added that he did not expect the next round of nuclear talks between Iran and six world powers, namely the five UN Security Council permanent members plus Germany, would generate breakthroughs.
Iran`s Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said Sunday that Iran will consider halting 20 percent uranium enrichment if the West recognises the "civilian" nature of its nuclear programme.
Iran and the six world powers, including Germany, held a new round of nuclear talks in the Iraqi capital Baghdad last week. The talks were concluded with a plan to hold another round of talks in Moscow next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly