Iran not to pursue N-bomb production: Ahmadinejad
Tehran: Affirming that Iran was not after nuclear weapons, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has said enriching uranium to 20 percent was his country`s right.
Ahmadinejad said related countries should explain why Tehran is not allowed to enrich uranium to 20 percent and how they will reciprocate if Iran stops uranium enrichment to that purity, Xinhua reported citing IRNA news agency.
Speaking during an interview with France 24 television, Ahmadinejad said enriching uranium to 20 percent is Iran`s right and Tehran is not after nuclear weapons.
Asked if Iran would agree to let other countries provide it with higher grade enriched uranium, Ahmadinejad said he was open to the option.
According to analysts, Ahmadinejad`s remarks indicate that Tehran will likely give up production of 20 percent enriched uranium if certain conditions are met by the western countries, such as lifting part of the harsh economic sanctions, Xinhua reported.
Ahmadinejad also added that he did not expect the next round of nuclear talks between Iran and six world powers, namely the five UN Security Council permanent members plus Germany, would generate breakthroughs.
Iran`s Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said Sunday that Iran will consider halting 20 percent uranium enrichment if the West recognises the "civilian" nature of its nuclear programme.
Iran and the six world powers, including Germany, held a new round of nuclear talks in the Iraqi capital Baghdad last week. The talks were concluded with a plan to hold another round of talks in Moscow next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog