Iran nuclear showdown still in diplomacy stage: Barak
Washington: The showdown over Iran`s nuclear pursuit is "still in the stage of diplomacy”, and extended sanctions against the regime could help prevent it from acquiring atomic weapons, Israel`s defence minister said in comments broadcast on Sunday.
"I think that it`s still in the stage of diplomacy," Ehud Barak told CNN in an interview.
"I still believe that much more active sanctions can cause the regime to have a second thought" about pursuing a weapons drive, which is at the heart of the concerns by western powers over Iran`s nuclear programme.
Barak`s comments came days after the first international talks in 14 months were held on the Islamic republic`s nuclear programme, which concluded with an agreement to meet again in Istanbul in late January to discuss ways to resolve what the European Union described as "core concerns about the nuclear issue”.
But even as diplomatic efforts between Iran and the six international powers engaged once again, Barak reiterated a long-held Israeli principle -- that the Jewish state would not sit idle if it felt a Tehran nuclear weapons drive was putting Israel under direct threat.
"As I`ve said earlier, we recommend to you (the Americans) and to the Europeans not to remove any option from the table and we mean it."
When asked directly if Israel would authorise an attack on Iran should sanctions fail, Barak said: "I don`t think that we have to answer these questions.”
"Of course, we have a right of self-defence, and it`s a basic right of individuals in any country, including this continent or in Europe, to live in safety and to live free of fear."
Iran is currently under four sets of UN sanctions over its refusal to suspend uranium enrichment, the sensitive process which can be used to make nuclear fuel or, in highly extended form, the fissile core of an atom bomb.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has called on the six countries -- Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States -- to lift international sanctions against his country if they want the talks to bear fruit.
On Friday, western nations accused Iran of stepping up illegal arms trading and made calls for tougher UN sanctions, after the seizure of 13 containers of rockets, mortars and other weapons in Nigeria last month and up to seven tonnes of high explosive in Italy in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM