Iran nuclear talks suspended for Christmas
Tehran: Iran`s foreign minister and the EU`s top diplomat agreed during telephone call today to postpone until after Christmas talks on implementing a landmark nuclear agreement, the country`s chief negotiator said.
"During this telephone conversation, it was agreed to continue the negotiations, but with the Christmas holidays in sight it was decided to interrupt and resume (the talks) a week after the holidays," said Abbas Araqchi.
The Iranian nuclear negotiator said the agreement was reached during a call that lasted "45 minutes" between Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.
Araqchi, who is also deputy foreign minister, said the discussions were progressing slowly because of "interpretations" of points of the agreement that Iran and world powers clinched in Geneva on November 24.
The negotiations, which are aimed at setting a framework and a timeline for the nuclear accord, stretched into a fourth day in Geneva today.
Zarif said little progress had been made in the talks with the P5+1 -- UN Security Council permanent members Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States plus Germany.
"The talks on implementing the accord are not easy. They are progressing, but slowly," he told a joint news conference today with visiting Italian Foreign Minister Emma Bonino.
"I hope all sides will avoid delving into issues that could become troublesome and complicate the process," Zarif added without elaborating.
Under the Geneva accord, Iran agreed to roll back or freeze parts of its nuclear drive for six months in exchange for modest sanctions relief and a promise by Western powers not to impose new sanctions.
Western powers suspect Iran`s nuclear activities mask military objectives, despite repeated denials in Tehran that they are entirely peaceful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing