Iran nuclear talks to resume February in New York: Report
Tehran: Iran and world powers are to resume talks next month in New York on reaching a long-term nuclear deal, a source close to the negotiations said on Monday.
"Negotiations between Iran and the P5+1 group on a definitive agreement will take place in New York at the end of Bahman," the Iranian month that ends on February 19, IRNA quoted the unnamed source as saying.
The talks will be attended by Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who represents the so-called P5+1 -- Britain, China, France, Russia, the United States and Germany -- said the source.
Zarif on Saturday had said the talks would resume in February but did not reveal where they would be held.
Previous rounds of talks that led to a landmark interim nuclear deal in November were held in Geneva.
Under the agreement, which took effect January 20 and is to last six months, Iran committed to limit its uranium enrichment to five percent, halting production of 20 percent-enriched uranium.
In return the European Union and the United States have eased crippling economic sanctions on Iran.
Medium-enriched uranium is of particular concern to the international community since it can easily be purified to weapons-grade levels.
The West and Israel -- the region`s sole, undeclared nuclear-armed power -- suspect Iran`s nuclear ambitions include developing a military capability.
The allegations are repeatedly denied by Tehran, which says its atomic activities are entirely peaceful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra