Iran nuclear talks to stretch into third day
Geneva: High-stakes talks between Iran and global powers on reining in its nuclear programme will stretch into a third day today in Geneva, US officials confirmed.
"Over the course of the evening, we continued to make progress as we worked to narrow the gaps," a senior State Department official said late on Friday.
"There is more work to do. The meetings will resume tomorrow morning," the official added after US Secretary of State John Kerry met for some five hours late yesterday with his Iran counterpart Mohammed Javad Zarif and EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov is due to fly in today to join most of his counterparts from the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, plus Germany -- with France`s Laurent Fabius, Germany`s Guido Westerwelle and Britain`s Wiliam Hague already in town.
After the trilateral talks ended at the EU mission, the three delegations swept back into the Geneva hotel where they are staying to be met by a media scrum and a wall of cameras.
Ashton refused to answer any questions, while Kerry said that there had been "a lot of work" done during their talks.
Iran`s lead negotiator in Geneva, Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said: "The meeting was productive, but we still have lots of work to do."
He also confirmed the meeting would continue today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days