Iran opens 2 new missile plants
Tehran: Iranian Defence Minister Ahmad Vahidi opened two new missile production plants on Saturday, just three days after Tehran fired a rocket carrying live animals into space, state television reported.
The plants will produce a ground-to-air missile dubbed the Qaem (Rising) and a surface-to-surface missile dubbed Toofan 5 (Storm), state television reported.
The Qaem is designed to target helicopters at low- and medium-altitudes, it added.
Iran unveiled the new plants as part of its celebrations for the 31st anniversary of the Islamic revolution later this month.
On Wednesday, Iran launched a capsule carrying turtles, rats and worms aboard its Kavoshgar 3 (Explorer) rocket in its first experiment in sending living creatures into space.
Iran`s missile and space programmes have sparked mounting alarm in the West amid fears that a command of advanced ballistics technologies combined with the nuclear know-how acquired from its declared civilian programme may enable it to produce an atomic weapon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie